I love the prepwork that goes into a new year. We all have big plans and can’t wait for that “shiny and new” feeling that will allow us to become completely different people than we are now. It’s like we expect to wake up on January 1st with new habits that have formed overnight, and a crazy resolve that we were never capable of before.
I don’t have to be the one to tell you that you don’t need January 1st to be who you want to be. You’ve got the ability to do that any day of the year. In fact, I encourage you to get a head start and stop waiting around for these last few days of 2015 to pass. Begin your 2016 right meow!
This post isn’t about motivating you to reach for those big goals early or encouraging you to strive to be more and do more. Nah, I’ve written about that enough. If you’re looking for a cheerleader post, try clicking here, here, here and HERE.
This is my annual retrospective post that reminds me of how great a year I may have had, even if I didn’t invent a sensor that sniffs out gluten. It’s easy to overlook everything you accomplished this year in your haste to get to next year’s achievements. I challenge you to make a list of the goals you hit that you may have had this year (or that may not have even been on your radar until they came to fruition). Remind yourself of how awesome a year it actually was before you go jumping over hurdles to get to next year.
My list of 25 accomplishments for the year is as follows:
- Saw Mt Rushmore
- Gave our tiny house new windows
- Closed $8 Million in volume (the best year of my Real Estate career)
- Gave my grandmother hearing aids
- Gained a new niece and nephew!
- Helped my baby sister and brother-in-law buy their first home
- Vacationed in Taiwan
- Volunteered my time regularly
- Led my first small group
- Paid off a credit card
- Visited Portland
- Started making art again
- Sold one of our houses
- Vacationed in Vegas
- Spent time with our California family (who we don’t see enough!)
- Saw Glen Hansard & Susan Tedeschi perform live
- Attended church regularly
- Made amazing new friends
- Attended a game at Bryant Denny Stadium
- Bought a right hand ring
- Took a selfie with James Spann
- Survived my first 13+ hour flight
- Got a 2nd cell phone for personal use to separate business and leisure -Hallelujah!
- Visited the top of Crazy Horse
- Celebrated 10 years of marriage
Now, before you go swimming off to 2016, take a moment to pat yourself on the back for the things that made you grow in 2015. I’m serious. Do it!