Rain drenched cobblestone streets in Temple Bar. I look out my hotel window and can see the rooftops of Dublin. This trip has been pretty fantastical, hasn’t it?
Today, we traveled from Drogheda to Dublin for the last few nights of this crazy, Ireland vacation. I’m ready to be home and in my own bed. Bouncing from hotel to hotel has left me completely disoriented. I don’t know if I’m in room 13 or 313, and I couldn’t tell you the name of the hotel, or which way the elevators are. The best way for me to remember each hotel is by describing the features that stood out: “Oh, that was the one with the hairdryer that didn’t work,” and “Remember that one – they greeted us with cupcakes…” or “That was the one that was haunted”. Craziness.
A few things to make note of:
1. Ireland’s weather mimics that of Seattle
2. When offered tea, take it. The coffee here is ridiculously bad.
3. They really do eat a lot of potatoes.
4. Butter and bread are served non-stop. Combine that with #3 above and come prepared to gain a few pounds.
5. Biscuit = Cookie, Scone = Biscuit
6. Northern Ireland’s troubles are something we didn’t cover in school and that pisses me off. Who knew?!
7. Stay in a Castle. You won’t regret it.
8. This country has more history than I’ll ever be able to absorb in one visit.
9. The toilets are funky. Two button flushes freak me out.
10. No matter how many photos you take, they’ll never do it justice. It’s amazingly beautiful… Here are the pics from our final days here:
Don’t wait to travel. Get your passports and do it now. You won’t regret it. 🙂