Remember when you were a kid and someone would ask you what your favorite color was? My answer was always blue. Now, I’d say it’s green. But for the first 10 years of my life, I was a hardcore fan of blue. My favorite numbers were 3 and 8 for no reason other than I liked the shapes of them. And, my favorite food was chocolate. It still is.
But this post isn’t about chocolate. And it’s not about numbers. It’s about blueberries, damnit!
I seriously love blueberries. They’re packed with antioxidants and they’re fun little things to have on hand. So, when my better half came home with more than a handful, I decided to do something with them. The below recipe was the perfect treat for a lazy Saturday morning
Paleo Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 heaping, overflowing cup of almond meal/flour
1/4 heaping, overflowing cup of coconut flour
1/4 c honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c water
1 1/2 c fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt and baking powder. Stir to combine and create a well in the center
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, water & honey. I used a whisk.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. I, again, just used a whisk. It takes a lot to get me to break out the mixer.
5. In a loaf pan (I greased mine just for good measure), pour 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom and distribute evenly.
6. Add blueberries to the remaining mixture and stir carefully with a spoon/spatula. Spoon the blue mixture into the loaf pan.
7. Bake 35 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before even considering taking it out of the pan.
8. Make coffee.
9. Eat, drink and be berry merry.