Growing up, I hated bananas. Something about the smell combined with the texture. I felt the same way about okra.
While I never got over okra (still hate it, won’t touch it), I finally gave bananas a whirl and now, I like them from time to time. I’m still not a fan of banana pudding, though. I don’t care how good your grandmother’s grandmother’s Aunt Milly’s recipe is. I’m not eating it. Go enjoy your Nilla wafers and yellow goop somewhere else.
I AM a fan of banana bread. And, as much as I like nuts, I prefer my banana bread without them.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Paleo Banana Bread (delicious with pure maple syrup):
2 C Almond Flour
1 TBS Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c water
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 c honey
2 ripe bananas, mashed to hell and back
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease loaf pan
2. Mix almond flour, cinnamon and baking soda in a large bowl, creating a well in the center.
3. Beat eggs in a medium bowl, add water, almond and vanilla extract, honey and mashed bananas,mixing well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry mixture, mixing well until no dry lumps appear. Pour into loaf pan.
5. Bake for 50-55 min or until crisp around the edges. Careful on this one, it will fool you into thinking it’s done (due to color). I recommend covering it with aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes, so that the top doesn’t brown too much. Stick a knife or toothpick in the center to see if it comes out cleanly.
6. Allow to cool for AT LEAST 10 minutes in the pan before attempting to transfer it to a wire rack. I’d recommend letting it cool longer. Go for a walk, take a nap or call Gam Gam and get that fabulous nanner pudding recipe.